Ir al contenido principal

No one else does this!!: My sad experiences with school-based ABA

I was 9 when Carmen came to my life. At that time, i really liked Japanese  stuff (i still do)... and Carmen had a Japanese background, and spoke a bit of Japanese. So i actually thought she would be lovely. I WAS WRONG.
If i read, she would take the book from me because it was "distracting".
If i sat alone at recess, she would tell me to find "someone to play with". Even if tehy were doing sports, which i've never liked.
Oh, but if i stimmed at classroom... she would tell me to "look less weird".
If they mocked me, she would tell me to "deal with life's natural ways".
She wouldn't like me to raise my hand and speak in class. She'd say "my opinions were really annoying".
She wouldn't like me to speak with other NT kids because "i already did that at therapy":
She loved to show me People "overcoming Autism" .
Worst thing she did was partner with the nastiest of teachers, who mistreated EVERYONE in my group. If we didn't sing the National Anthem correctly, she would make us run 40 times around the massive tennis court. She had the whole classroom on detention when we made "stupid jokes". If someone fell asleep during class, she would blow a horn to wake them up. If we doodled in our notebook, she would break the paper sheet and tell us to do the work again. She assigned  large projects from one day to another. She'd turn on the AC if we made a single noise (i live in a tropical zone).
I got to middle school, and Carmen went away. Then came Marisol, who wasn't much better. She wanted to help me in the bathroom. I know many Autistics need this, but i doon't, and I consider having non-required help in such a setting pretty invasive. She wouldn't help me search teams for projects.  She hated me talking about comics, myy Special Interest, she even said "comics aren't suitable for girls". She mae homphobic jokes, for example, when a boy came to school in a pink jumper.
Luckily, my parents fired her. Then came Miriam, who was ACTUALLY REALLY NICE. she loved talking me about travelling, and she found comics gripping. She TOTALLY UNERSTOOD how sports tired me. She even invited me to a Church Camp with lots of other ND teens. She made me love indie music... I'm still her friend on facebook.
But my parents still are friends with Carmen. i found out she supports quack cures, ABA, and discredited FC and RPM. I didn't say anything, to not be #gaslighted.
Am i better now without a school carer? Well... now i have more privacy. Now i can speak up. I can make jokes. I can listen to metal and indie all day. I can decide which activities to involve myself in. I've become an advocate, and teachers know my talents.
I'm still victim of bad taste jokes and gaslighting... But i'm finally free. I feel like my true self. I guess it's better
-Superbabe

Comentarios

  1. Yo hice una amiga que tenía una "sombra" osda una acompañante de la escuela.
    Nos escondiamos de ella.

    Lamento que hayas convivido con alguien como Carmen.

    ResponderBorrar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas más populares de este blog

15 razones por las cuales NO debes de apoyar a Autism $peaks

Bueno... Este Post es importante... Sè que puede haber bastante polémica al contarlo... Pero es necesario. Y hoy que tengo cucharas (ya hablaremos mas adelante de ello) para contarlo, lo haré. Lastimosamente para la mayor parte de la comunidad Autista, Autism $peaks es la màs grande caridad sobre autismo en EUA. Muchos odiamos a esta "caridad". Aquí hay una lista de razones. alerta por euegnesia, filicidio, capacitismo y machismo 1. Muestran a los niños autistas como una carga para las familias, como "fantasmones" y otras analogías TERRIBLEMENTE ESTIGMATIZANTES. Ningún niño se merece que hablen  de ellos como monstros, otra analogía muy usada por esta organización. Aún los que no hablan y/o los que tienen como COMORBIDAD la discapacidad intelectual son personas y sencillamente por eso merecen respeto. 2. Usan etiquetas funcionales.  Debido a ellas, los autistas de "bajo funcionamiento" (generalmente los que no hablan o no pueden valerse por si mismos

15 Reasons to NOT support Autism $peaks.

Well... this post is important… I know it will be highly polemical… But it's necessary. And now that i've got the spoons (we'll talk about it later) to tell it, i will. Unfrtunately for the big mayority of the Autistic Community, Autism $peaks is the greatest Autism Charity in the USA. MOST OF US HATE THIS "CHARITY". And here are a few reasons you should NEVER support them. 1. They show Autistic kids as burdens to their families, as "ghosts" and other REALLY STIGMATIZING analogies. No kid deserves that kind of rethoric (they have even described us as monsters). Even non-vocalizing or COMORBIDLY intellectually disabled Autistics are people and JUST BECAUSE OF THAT deserve as much respect as EVERYONE ELSE. 2. They use functioning labels. Simply, FUNCTIONING LABELS DON'T WORK. Due to them, "low functioning" individuals (commonly those who are non-vocalizing or depend on someone due to COMORBITIES)  are pitied, while "high-functionin

Catra y como el abuso cambia a la gente (¿Le puede pasar a alguien Autista?)

 Alerta de contenido: ABUSO, VIOLACIÓN, SUICIDIO, GENOCIDIO, HOMICIDIO, GUERRA, ABANDONO, TORTURA, TRAICIÓN, MUERTE, secuestro,... Y UN CHANGO DE SPOILERS. Como ya se habrán dado cuenta, soy MEGAFAN de SPOP (She-Ra y las Princesas del Poder)(Si, soy de esas fans que van por la vida pidiendo la #SheRaMovie, ¿ok?). Y he de decir que este reboot de la serie de los 80's me fascina, ya que lidia con temas como trauma, abuso, crímenes de guerra, entre otros bastante complejos, que, para niños de 7 años (quienes ya pueden empezar a ver el show, según la clasificación de Netflix), pueden ser difíciles de detectar, y mucho más de analizar. En el artículo anterior hablé de la "cara buena" del show: Es esperanzador, sobre todo para la gente Discapacitada y LGBT+... Ahora, por más difícil que pueda ser, debo de hablar de la otra cara de la moneda: NOS MUESTRA HISTORIAS DE ABUSO, DE TRAUMA, E INCLUSO, SUTILMENTE, DE TENDENCIAS SUICIDAS/HOMICIDAS/GENOCIDAS.  Hoy hablaremos de quien yo