Ir al contenido principal

What's the Social Model Of Disability? (I'M NOT "DIFFERENTLY ABLED")

"Asking for basic rights isn't too much to ask"
-Diane Guerrero

This is gonna be one of the most controversial articles i have ever done. But i've gotta be brave enough to do it. They asked for it in school, it's important for me and, as Pippi Longstockings said once when they asked why she walked backwards "The question is, why not?"

Recently, the word "differently abled" is being introduced when talking about people who, becausse of X or Y, NEED ACOMMODATIONS. BUT I THINK IT'S AN EUPHEMISM, AND IT CAN BE EXPLAINED THRUGH THE SOCIAL MODEL OF DISABILITY.

This model explains that IT'S SOCIETY WHO DISABLES US, EVEN MORE THAN OUR DIAGNOSES. AND IT'S SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY DON'T LIKE OUR STYLE.

So, what acommodations does an Autistic like me need? Basically, our sensory processing is different. Evven, with background noise, i won't be able to hear you. You gotta speak LOUD, SLOW AND CLEAR, so i can undertand you, or at least, read your lips and body language. SMALL ACTIOS LIKE THIS ARE ACOMMODATIONS. Many believe i'm Hard of Hearing, but my ears are typical, my brain isn't. I aso need help with teamwork  (or, better said, the others need help with knowing that MY HUMAN VALUE IS INHERENT TO MY EXISTENCE) . THAT IS AN ACOMMODATION TOO.

And, why am i not "Differently abled"? BECAUSE I'M NT TREATED DIFFERENTY. I'M TREATED BADLY.  IT'S EVERYONE'S JOB TO CHANGE IT. I'VE ALREADY DONE MUCH.

Many will sayy it's tiring. BUT SO IS COPIG WITH HARSH WORDS AND LOOKS, FRIENDS THAT LET ME DOWN, AND PEOPLE WHO MAKE BAD-TASTE, AND EVEN CRUEL JOKES.

THE 12TH OF AUGUST, 10 DAYS BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY, A PERUVIAN TWEEN NAMED AVRI, WHO WAS AUTISTIC, TOOK HER LIFE, BECAUSE OF BULLYING. THIS IS ONE OF MANY CASES.

YOU'LL SAY I'M LUCKY TO BE "HIGH-FUNCTIONING" . BUT I BEG YOU NOT TO CAL ME THAT. I HAVE MANY STRENGHTS, BUT ALSO MANY CHALLENGES. I HAVE TO TAKE MANY MEDICINES EVERY DAY AND I CAN HARDLY SLEEP THROUGH THE WHOLE NIGHT, I'VE GOT REALLY BAD GI ISSUES, AND SUICIDAL THOUGHTS EVERY DAY.

I CAN SPEAK, BUT I CAN HARDLY EDIT MY PAGES, LIKE AMY SEQUENZIA, OR SING, LIKE EMMA-ZURCHER LONG. DIFFERENT LIVES, DIFFERENT PROBLEMS. YOU CAN'T GRADE LIFE, AND THERE ARE MANY THINGS INVOOVED, SUCH AS MENTAL HEALTH, ECONOMY, ETC.

THERE CAN BE FAR WORSE STUFF... BUT IT ALSO COULD BE A LOT BETER.








Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

15 Reasons to NOT support Autism $peaks.

Well... this post is important… I know it will be highly polemical… But it's necessary. And now that i've got the spoons (we'll talk about it later) to tell it, i will. Unfrtunately for the big mayority of the Autistic Community, Autism $peaks is the greatest Autism Charity in the USA. MOST OF US HATE THIS "CHARITY". And here are a few reasons you should NEVER support them. 1. They show Autistic kids as burdens to their families, as "ghosts" and other REALLY STIGMATIZING analogies. No kid deserves that kind of rethoric (they have even described us as monsters). Even non-vocalizing or COMORBIDLY intellectually disabled Autistics are people and JUST BECAUSE OF THAT deserve as much respect as EVERYONE ELSE. 2. They use functioning labels. Simply, FUNCTIONING LABELS DON'T WORK. Due to them, "low functioning" individuals (commonly those who are non-vocalizing or depend on someone due to COMORBITIES)  are pitied, while "high-functionin

This cartoon changed my life

It was pride month. I was afraid of celebrating with my parents, who are just starting to question what they know about love and the various ways it may present itself. Online, they told me "watch  She-Ra and the Princesses of Power". I had nothing to lose. There was Entrapta, canonically Autistic, and, if i din't like it, i still had to catch up with Supergirl.  So I watched it. IT WAS FASCINATING. I had seen the old version with my parents, they had some casettes which i used to watch when i was sick, as a child. Now, as a woman, I'm fascinated by this version. From the beautiful scenaries, to the different personalities, body types and ethnicities, to the precious lesson Entrapta shows Disabled kids when telling Hordak "Your imperfections are beautiful", I LOVED EVERY SECOND. Sadly, the serie ended... WITH A KISS. CATRADORA WAS CANON. AND IT GIVES ME HOPE. It's possible that, even if it wasn't Noelle's intention, she made Adora Autistic too. 

15 razones por las cuales NO debes de apoyar a Autism $peaks

Bueno... Este Post es importante... Sè que puede haber bastante polémica al contarlo... Pero es necesario. Y hoy que tengo cucharas (ya hablaremos mas adelante de ello) para contarlo, lo haré. Lastimosamente para la mayor parte de la comunidad Autista, Autism $peaks es la màs grande caridad sobre autismo en EUA. Muchos odiamos a esta "caridad". Aquí hay una lista de razones. alerta por euegnesia, filicidio, capacitismo y machismo 1. Muestran a los niños autistas como una carga para las familias, como "fantasmones" y otras analogías TERRIBLEMENTE ESTIGMATIZANTES. Ningún niño se merece que hablen  de ellos como monstros, otra analogía muy usada por esta organización. Aún los que no hablan y/o los que tienen como COMORBIDAD la discapacidad intelectual son personas y sencillamente por eso merecen respeto. 2. Usan etiquetas funcionales.  Debido a ellas, los autistas de "bajo funcionamiento" (generalmente los que no hablan o no pueden valerse por si mismos